This week, Credit Union Journal published its annual list of the “Best Credit Unions To Work For.” Fifty institutions across the country were named to the list, including several MWCUA member credit unions.
According to CU Journal, executives at these institutions were able to distinguish their credit unions by ramping up benefits and support as the coronavirus wreaked havoc on the workplace and economy. These steps included developing ways for employees to still socialize with each other despite working remotely, paying staff for a full-time schedule even if their hours were cut, and reimbursing cell phone and internet expenses for those working from home.
Congratulations to the following credit unions.
Colorado Credit Union
Overall rank: 5
Asset category rank: 3
President and CEO: Michael Williams
• The credit union offers a tuition-reimbursement program of up to $3,000 for any class related to an employee’s job or career path.
• The credit union offers up to a 4% match for employee contributions to its 401(k) plan and provides profit sharing each year.
• To promote wellness during the pandemic, the credit union subscribed to a program called Wellbeats that offers virtual gym classes and recipes for employees.
Notre Dame Federal Credit Union (Associate Member)
Notre Dame, Ind.
Overall rank: 9
Asset category rank: 1
CEO: Thomas Gryp
• The credit union hosts a President’s Dinner once a year for employees who earn a rating of at least a four on a five-point scale for their annual performance review. They can bring a guest to the celebration for gifts, cocktails, dinner and socializing.
• The institution pays for each employee to complete a financial wellness course.
• Notre Dame FCU cover 100% of the costs for a 52-week online weight loss program.
Landings Credit Union
Overall rank: 24
Asset category rank: 3
CEO: Brian Lee
• Landings covers deductibles so employees have no out of pocket healthcare costs.
• Employees enjoy “credit union Olympic” games and Connect 4 tournaments.
• The institution hosts fun holiday activities, including cookie and gift exchanges and an ugly sweater competition.
Denver Community Credit Union
Overall rank: 29
Asset category rank: 9
Co-CEOs: Tessa Bonfante and Shane Silvernale
• Employees enjoy free ice cream on Thursdays during the summer months.
• The credit union covers 55% of employees’ annual Sam’s Club membership fee.
• To help relief stress related to COVID-19, managers coordinated a series of fun activities via the credit union’s intranet portal, including themed days and a video joke series.
Rocky Mountain Law Enforcement Federal Credit Union
Overall rank: 31
Asset category rank: 10
President and CEO: Christine Wiley
• Employees receive letters from the board along with a gift card to recognize their customer service and excellent job performance.
• The institution matches up to 4% of an employee’s contribution to a retirement plan. It also provides 4% of the worker’s annual compensation through a profit-sharing plan.
• To help advance staff members’ careers, the credit union offers monthly online classes, job shadowing, group training sessions and individual coaching.