TUCSON, Arizona. (June 8, 2017) – Vantage West Credit Union, southern Arizona’s largest credit union, announced today the awarding of $1,000 each in scholarship funds to 10 outstanding students pursuing higher education in Arizona this coming fall semester.
This is in line with the credit union’s advocacy to help its members grow and be successful through quality education. “We are proud to offer this scholarship opportunity to help students take the next steps forward in reaching their educational goals,” said Vantage West President/CEO Robert D. Ramirez.
Winners of the 2017 Vantage West Credit Union Scholarship Program are:
- Cassandra Colby – Empire High School in Vail, headed to NAU (Nursing)
- Kasey Carpenter – Catalina Foothills High School in Tucson, headed to NAU (Chemistry with a focus on Forensics and a minor in Criminology)
- Valerie Pedersen – Canyon Del Oro High School in Oro Valley, headed to UA (Nursing and Spanish)
- Dalia Lis – Tanque Verde High School in Tucson, headed to UA ( Physiology- Medicine, minor in Spanish)
- Mariah Dockum – Mammoth-San Manuel Unified High School in San Manuel, headed to UA (Neuroscience and Cognitive Science)
- Brett Dennis – Empire High School in Vail, headed to UA (Fisheries Management and Wildlife Conservation)
- Gabriella Encinas – Sahuaro High School in Tucson, headed to Arizona State University (Biomedical Engineering)
- Afra Nawar – previous graduate of BASIS Chandler, continuing at ASU (Electrical Engineering)
- Farhan Rahman – previous graduate of BASIS Chandler, continuing at ASU (Electrical Engineering)
- Kathryn Rottler – previous graduate of Cienega High School in Vail, continuing at UA (Accounting)
They were selected by a panel of judges based on a number of criteria including academic excellence, philanthropy, quality and content of a written essay, and good character.
To date, Vantage West has awarded close to $40,000 in total scholarships since launching the program in 2013.
About Vantage West Credit Union
Vantage West Credit Union is a $1.7-billion financial institution in Arizona, which serves a growing membership of more than 145,000. Vantage West has 17 branches in Pima, Pinal, Maricopa and Cochise counties and serves its vast global membership via online channels, as well. Vantage West is a full-service financial institution, offering consumer and business loans, credit cards, and deposit products, as well as retirement accounts and other financial services. Vantage West is federally insured by NCUA. vantagewest.org