Apply in 2021
As members and assets grow, so do the demands and complexity of being a Credit Union leader. To help you build the skills needed to lead our Movement into the future, the Mountain West Credit Union Foundation’s Center for Credit Union Leadership offers a $10,000 scholarship to help you complete a Credit Union focused Master’s Doctorate, or Professional Degree that will move you and our Movement forward.
The Credit Union Leader Master’s Scholarship is a two-year scholarship to fund an accredited master’s, doctorate and other professional degree programs for $5,000 each year. This scholarship will be awarded to a Credit Union leader who is committed to the Credit Union philosophy and will leverage this degree to advance their Credit Union and the Movement.
Is this scholarship right for you? Are you:
- Innovative and creative?
- Dedicated to the Credit Union philosophy and the cooperative business model?
- Committed to advancing your Credit Union and the Movement?
- A leader at your credit union looking to move your career forward?
- A strategic and divergent thinker?
- Willing to use Credit Unions as the topic of your capstone research and projects?
If so, you may be exactly the Credit Union professional we are looking for!
Each year, one recipient will be named by the Mountain West Credit Union Foundation’s selection committee. They will be looking for candidates that demonstrate the above traits plus the following requirements:
- Three years of Credit Union work experience
- Currently working full-time as a leader in an Arizona, Colorado, or Wyoming Credit Union
- Be enrolled in or accepted to an on-campus, online, or hybrid delivered, master’s degree program at a US-based, accredited, graduate-level university
- Be endorsed by the CEO of your Credit Union
- Degree must have a thesis, capstone, or exit requirements including exit exams or project
- Undertake research capstone projects and comprehensive exams as a part of the program that can be linked to Credit Unions in such a way that benefit or advance the Credit Union and/or the Movement
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA in a 4-point system
- Must complete the degree or agree to repay the scholarship
Most importantly, this scholarship in not just about your advancement, it’s also about benefiting your Credit Union and the Movement. If Credit Unions are in your blood, you know this is the career for you, and you want to be a part of the future of the Movement, then don’t wait, Apply Today!
The Credit Union Leader Master’s Scholarship is provided and funded by the Center for Credit Union Leadership, a division of the Mountain West Credit Union Foundation.
2020 Scholar: Whitney Thomas, Colorado Credit Union
Whitney Thomas is currently the Marketing and Business Development Specialist at Colorado Credit Union. Whitney graduated Cum Laude and on the Dean’s list at the University of Colorado, Denver. She as led the CCU website strategy, participates in the credit union’s financial literacy program, and volunteers at the Food for Thought Bak Pak Program, Foothills Park and Recreation, and the Ken-Caryl Ranch House.
2019 Scholar: Bryan Thomas, Meridian Trust Federal Credit Union
Bryan is the new Executive Vice President of Meridian Trust Federal Credit Union. In his current position Bryan has launched an online financial literacy program, constructing the credit union’s new Wellington branch, redesigned the PTO program for hourly employees, led a cards migration, created member loyalty programs, and completed the Leadership Fort Collins program. Bryan’s volunteer and community work includes coaching the Fort Collins Baseball Club, Meals on Wheels, Junior Achievement, Alliance for Suicide Prevention.